" ..a series of original photos taken by LT. COLONEL Alan D. CATTERALL in and around Neubiberg aerodrome. He served in the 32nd Service Group and later commanded the 492nd Air Service Group. This unit was responsible for decommissioning and destroyed captured Luftwaffe aircraft. This is a super rare original photo - NOT a reprint!..."
On offer here
Neubiberg Fliegerhorst was located in Bavaria 8 km SE of Munich and 2.8 km WSW of the suburban town of Neubiberg. Constructed 1933-35 and began operations as a Luftwaffe Fliegerhorstkommandantur by the autumn of 1935. Used mainly as a recruit and replacement training base and flight training centre to mid-1943, then as an aircraft park and transit depot, primarily for refitting and re-equipping fighter units. During 1944 Neubiberg became a primary air defense base for the Munich area and home to both day and night fighter combat units. Via http://www.forgottenairfields.com
Above; Luftwaffe aircraft wrecks at Neubiberg during September 1945. The airfield at Neubiberg was dubbed 'Camp Rattle' following its capture in April 1945.
Below; Dornier Do 335 A-12 (240112) at Neubiberg shortly after the war ended. This aircraft was transferred to RAE Farnborough in the UK for evaluation and crashed there, killing the pilot. According to the 'Skylighters' site this aircraft was flown by the Americans at Camp Rattle. In a few short weeks, German civilians would be paid to help American GIs to burn both German and American aircraft
...On February 1945 the Stab and 1. and 2. Staffeln of Fernaufklärungsgruppe 5, equipped with Junkers Ju 290 and Ju 88 flew into the airfield. At the beginning of April the airfield received three Staffeln of III./NJG 6, each comprising 12 aircraft, from Leipheim (Swabia) as a result of US Army attacks over Ulm (Baden-Württemberg). The Gruppe moved on 28 April to Bad Aibling (Bavaria). The airfield was subjected to Allied air attacks having as target mainly the parked aircraft in view of the possible re-use of its structures after the war. Up to mid-April 1945 V. Gruppe NJG 2 continued its training and night missions against targets in flight and on the ground. From 19th April the V. Group continued its missions from a wooded area near Brunnthal (Bavaria), where aircrafts box areas under the trees and a grassland glade as airstrip were prepared. On 23rd April the Hitler’s personal physician transited on the airfield directed to Munich for accomplishing a special mission ordered directly by Hitler. On 24th April, an attack on the airfield conducted by four American P51 Mustang set alight numerous German aircraft parked on the airfield. The last mission of V. Gruppe took place on 28-29 April. At the end of April the airfield received some aircraft of the Nahaufklärungsgruppe (Close Reconnaissance Group) 14 and 11 Ju 87 D of the NSG 1 (Solltau, 2005). On 30 April 1945 at about 23:00 a mixed combat group of the US Army formed by a column of the 27th Tank Battalion reinforced by infantrymen of the 2nd Battalion of the Infantry Regiment 242 arrived on the airfield. They destroyed 88 mm air defense guns, captured about hundred intact barracks and about hundred aircraft including some new Me 262 jets. The action terminated on 1 May at about 6:00 with the surrender of 71 German officers, 955 commissioned officers and soldiers and 500 assistants (Solltau, 2005)...
Giancarlo T. Tomezzoli (2016) The “Fliegerhorst” of Neubiberg (Munich-Germany) in Archaeological Discovery 04, pages 69-86.
Soltau, G. (2005). Die Fliegerhorst Neubiberg Im Spiegel der deutschen Luftfahrgeschichte. Oberhaching: AVIATIC VERLAG GmbH.